Wednesday, August 15, 2012

“Iffy and Scratchy”… (part 1 )

On Friday the 10th, Mike sends me an Email asking if it was worth driving over from Spokane to go flying. Pondering the blue hazy conditions that Randy flew in on the same day and the multiple forecasts that ranged from “Sucks” to “Epic” and the fact it was August, high pressure, no wind…. I replied back “my guess is its going to be “iffy and scratchy”…..

Saturday the 11th, the next message was 8am from Mike he was on the way (the boy is ga-ga to fly). Today Randy would serve his day at the wheel running the rig. Mia had her radio sorted (an unusual problem with her IC70, would receive for close proximity tests but could not pick up a transmission from more then a 100 yards away) so she was ready to fly. With our holidays nearly over, yours truly was also ready to get some airtime, even if it looked to be “Iffy and Scratchy”. Mike pulled in at 11am having already left his glider at L-Road midpoint (strong morning North eastern  winds).

By the time we were set up, conditions had turned light enough (north winds subsided) and we were able to perform the preferable and longer south tow.  It was to be a teaching moment for Randy, shortly into the roll I get the “Thumbs up” from the cab…. well below the airspeed indicators take off speed! Fortunately I was ready for what ever procedural anomalies a newbie tow operator could give me so I waited until I hit take off speed (an additional 10 mph) then released. While climbing I got on the radio and indicated that it would be a better idea to give the thumbs up when we actually achieved take-off speed Winking smile (a lesson learned)

I pinned off low (not really sure what inspired me to do so) at around 1200ft AGL. I promptly had to set to work scratching to save the flight. Dumb luck allowed me to blunder into so good air and I was up and away. Mike followed shortly after and was 20 min behind (very good turn around time for Randy and his first day back on the rig in over a year). Mike took a much higher tow and set himself up to chase me for the rest of the day. Mia, being last and was 30 minutes behind Mike. Randy = 3 Tows = 3 Away… nice start to his towing duties…

I was more or less leading todays plans and I was leaning heavily toward staying “on-top” and not heading east. The lack of Q’s, the hot hazy looking day was just not that inspirational. Thing is, it did not take long to realize that “looks” was deceiving and climbs up over 9000ft asl seemed easy enough so after reaching Dry Falls to the SE and at the last minute, I radioed back to Mike and asked if he would mind giving Wilson Creek a try (45km’s SE from our start)…. he figured why not so I headed across the South end of Banks Lake to nail some terrific lift just south of Coulee City.  The day was obviously way better then it looked!

Both Mike and I turned at the Wilson Creek Airport and headed for Wilbur Airport. There were a few slow spots and some epic nasty air on top but half way to Wilbur and we were establishing some wonderful climbs to 11,000ft asl. Meanwhile Mia had joined the leg to Wilson creek but being a little slower and not quite trusting the day turn early and started her leg up to Almira. As Mia reached Almira, Mike (still in hot pursuit…. and hanging close behind like a bad smell…) and I had pushed past Wilbur another 15km’s and turned west at Sherman (NE of Wilbur). It was around her Mike started gloating about cracking 12,000ft asl…. I pointed out the day was getting late and getting a little unpredictable and he best put the hammer down and start heading back for home on the high ground.  I was pushing fast to the west (and getting low). Mike said he was a mile behind and suggested that I could turn back and climb in some good lift that he had found. I muttered under my breath…”I never turn back”… and pressed on very low to a dust devil save. At which point he passed me….  At 11,300ft asl I peered to the west and saw Mike working some weak looking dust devils near the east edge of banks lake, so again I pointed west cursing the fact I let the young punk get ahead of me.

Right about now, Mia announced that she was crossing Banks from 7900ft  on the east side and heading to Mold over on the west side. As I arrived at the edge, I was down to 7300ft asl…. At first I thought Mike had already crossed? Nope… doofus was still poking around a mile behind me trying to get some height! I reminded him about his flight last year where he got stuck and ended up trapped., unable to cross Banks lake…he relented his search and at 7700ft asl started chasing me again. We all ended up low on the west side of the lake.  I got the award for lowest save, 3800 ft (1300ft agl?), Mia started her save from 4900ft asl, Mike being a lazy sod, felt no reason work for his airtime worked his save from around 5600ft asl (with Randy in the chase vehicle directly below him trying to break off a thermal… must have slipped him an extra $20 for the tow?

After all our hard work, we were all rewarded to a “glass-off”. Mia got the altitude she needed to head back to the house in Mansfield. I lazily enjoyed a climb at Sims Corner that eventually peaked out at 12,500ft asl and did a brief trip to the edge of Dyer hill and back to town. Mike did much the same…. except having no respect for his elders…. pushed an extra two kilometers to beat my OLC points for the day. Randy guided us all in with a radio and windsock (light and vacuum, always a challenge). Mia and I both with mediocre landings, Mike showing off with a perfect landing (little snot).

A short taxi from our LZ to the house and it was cold beer for all:

P1000737

Tracks from the day (click for larger image) :

Sat Tracks

Mia's 116 km 4.5 hour FAI triangle

My 200km 6 hour FAI triangle

Mike  the "weasel" and his  202km 5.6 hour FAI triangle

Thanks to Randy for the fantastic “Tow-meister” services for the day….

No comments:

Post a Comment